There is a solid reason why France is one of the most popular travel destinations across the globe. The nation is home to exquisite architecture, picturesque countryside, and delectable cuisine. Even though Paris may be the most well-known city in France, there are still a lot of other places to visit in France.
We’ve created a list of our top travel destinations in France after exploring the entire country. We will be discussing the country’s rolling vineyards, France sightseeing, charming medieval villages, charming Northern France, laid-back Southern France, charming medieval villages, food, fashion, culture, and, of course, the iconic capital city of Paris. This blog contains some of the most efficient France travel tips for 2023. Let’s dig deep!
France’s Top Destinations & Things To Do
1. Louvre Museum
One of the best places to visit in France is the Louvre Museum, which is also the largest and possibly most famous museum in the world.
It is situated in the city of Paris and is the location of some of the most well-known works of art in the entire world, including the Mona Lisa.
When you are near the location, take the help of France tourism guide. It is a well-known tourist spot in France. The Palais Royal Musée du Louvre station is the one nearest to the Louvre Museum.
- Best Time To Visit: The museum is open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm and on weekends from 9 am to 9 pm. Visiting this place at any time of the year is one of the best things to do in France.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: Paris Orly (ORY) Airport, located 14.9 km from The Louvre, is the closest airport. Beauvais (BVA), Lille Lesquin (LIL), and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) are three further airports that are close by.
- Things To Do: The bridge provides a stunning perspective of the Seine River. Inend, this is a definite must-see in the Louvre neighborhood and the ideal photo location.
2. Mont Saint Michel
Large sandbanks generally surround Mont Saint Michel (also known as Le Mont Saint Michel), except during high tide when it is encircled by water and only accessible via the bay.
It is also the best place to visit in France with friends. It has an unbeatable appearance due to the stunning effect of the island and its abbey rising out of the water.
When you’re short on time, traveling in a tour group is the most practical method to reach Mont Saint Michel from Paris. While a day trip may bring you there quickly and simply without any planning, it does not give you a limitless amount of time to explore the island.
Although Mont Saint Michel is a fantastic place to visit in France, most tourists won’t feel the need to spend more than one or two days seeing the entire island, so taking a day trip is not always a terrible idea.
- Best Time To Visit: When the weather is at its best, March to October is the ideal time to explore Mont Saint-Michel. Since July and August are peak tourist months, crowds are at their maximum.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: The closest airport is in Rennes, which is 75 km away from Mont Saint-Michel.
- Things To Do: The Mont-Saint-Michel, a magnificent island crowned with a monastery defying gravity, and its Bay count. This sacred island, along with its stunning harbor, is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was formerly one of Europe’s main pilgrimage destinations.
3. The Château de Chantilly
Chantilly is one of France’s sights. It is located in the French Picardie area, around 40 kilometers (25 miles) north of Paris. The small town of Chantilly shares its name with the castle, Château de Chantilly.
When visiting France, it is unquestionably a sight to see as it is extremely eye-catching. This was entirely the Duke of Aumule’s idea, and it turned out to be one of the most stunning rooms in the already gorgeous castle. It continues to hold the distinction of having France’s second-largest collection of old paintings, trailing only the Great Louvre.
When you arrive early on a weekday morning, there will be fewer people around so you may enjoy the chateau and all of its wonderful attractions in peace. Additionally, you may encounter shorter lines, giving you more time to complete your tasks.
- Best Time To Visit: You can visit this amazing place at any time of the year.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport is the closest airport to Chantilly and is located 22.3 kilometers away.
- Things To Do: The magnificent art gallery at Château de Chantilly is one of the key reasons visitors choose to travel. It is one of the best places to visit in France with couples.
4. Strasbourg Cathedral
The Strasbourg Cathedral is a magnificent example of Gothic art and one of the top attractions in France. One of the best places to visit in France.
Beginning in 1015, work was done on the Romanesque cathedral, of which only the crypt and the footprint are still visible today. The current structure’s Gothic-style spire was finished in 1439.
Strasbourg has a long history that dates back to the Roman Empire and has long been a hub for trade, politics, and culture. The city is well-known for its magnificent Gothic structures, including the magnificent Notre Dame Cathedral, which dominates the city’s old quarter.
- Best Time To Visit: The best time to visit is during the summer when long days and riverbank strolls make for the ideal city getaway. When the weather is this good, it’s possible to enjoy the light show and the outdoor restaurants near the cathedral.
- Distance From Nearest Railway Station: By train, it takes 10 minutes to get to Strasbourg’s city core from the international airport (SXB). Paris to Strasbourg is about 246 miles (396 kilometers) apart, and the typical train ride takes 1 hour and 56 minutes.
- Things To Do: A short canal is crossed by the bridge, which is surrounded by lovely half-timbered homes from the 16th and 17th centuries as tourist spots in France. Don’t miss out on visiting this common tourist spot in France.
Few places are as radiant as Saint-Tropez. Visit the location with the help of a French tourism guide. Since the 1960s, celebrities, creatives, and jet setters have flocked to this French Riviera vacation paradise.
Every summer, the posh beach clubs, enormous yachts, and quaint old fishing districts draw large people.
There are several activities available at Saint-Tropez. Despite being a small town, there is a lot to learn here because of its diverse surroundings!
- Best Time To Visit: It is one of the most attractive places to visit in France. The best months to visit Saint Tropez are April through July because of the great weather. You may even find that these months are less expensive for flights and lodging than the busiest holiday times.
- Distance From Nearest Railway Station & Airport: Saint Raphael and Les Arcs-Draguignan are the two mainline train stations closest to Saint-Tropez; from both, cabs or subsequent bus connections to Saint-Tropez are available. Toulon/Hyeres (TLN) Airport, which is 43.8 kilometers distant, is the closest airport to Saint-Tropez.
- Things To Do: Saint-Tropez will keep you entertained with its excellent dining, exciting nightlife, stunning beaches, and charming old town. It is the oldest tourist spot in France.
It’s difficult to pick a favorite location along the French Riveria, but Porquerolles has a lot to offer.
The largest of the Îles d’Hyères features serene beaches, quiet waters, rolling vineyards, country bike lanes, historic forts, and an off-the-beaten-path atmosphere and is the top attraction in France. The island is roughly 17 by 9 kilometers in size and is surrounded by cliffs and beaches.
- Best Time To Visit: June and September are the best months to visit the island as it is quieter and has the best weather.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: Paris Orly (ORY) Airport, located 14.3 kilometers from the city, is the closest airport. Beauvais (BVA), Lille Lesquin (LIL), and Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) are three further airports that are close by.
- Things To Do: One of the best things to do in France is a boat ride. With stunning scenery, coastline views, and charming little towns, villages, and port towns, it is a particularly alluring location.
7. D-Day Landing Beaches
An operation that finally resulted in the liberation of France (and later Western Europe) from Nazi domination is strongly linked to Normandy and World War II, notably the tragic day the Allies made a touchdown at the D-Day beaches.
Today, tourists can explore the numerous museums and cemeteries dotted throughout the 50-mile stretch of shoreline with the help of France tourism guide.
The worst of the D-Day beaches, Omaha was surrounded by high cliffs and was fiercely defended, still is one of the top attractions in France.
- Best Time To Visit: Weather-wise, spring, and autumn is the best time to visit this exotic place. Checking the weather before making travel plans to the D-Day Beaches is a good idea.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: Caen (CFR) Airport, located 18.5 kilometers from the Normandy landings, is the closest airport. Jersey (JER) (118.9 km), Southampton (SOU) (188.5 km), and Beauvais (BVA) (194.4 km) are three further airports in the area.
- Things To Do: Some of the best things to do in this amazing place are sightseeing, capturing photos, and making long-lasting memories.
There are many things to appreciate in Porquerolles, even if it’s impossible to single out a favorite French vacation spot along the French Riveria.
The largest of the Îles d’Hyères features tranquil beaches, serene waterways, rolling vineyards, and bicycle trails.
Plage Notre Dame, one of Porquerolles Island’s most stunning beaches, is located on the island’s northeastern side. From the central village, it will take about 40 minutes to walk there. Alternatively, you can take a bike. These are the top Places to visit in France with friends.
- Best Time To Visit: While May to June or September to October are the ideal months to visit Porquerolles for pleasant weather, these are also the busiest months of the year for tourists. November or April are ideal months to visit to escape the crowds.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: Toulon/Hyeres (TLN) Airport, which is located 11.7 kilometers from Porquerolles, is the closest. Marseille (MRS) (94.2 km), Nice (NCE) (109.4 km), and Montpellier (MPL) (193.3 km) are more airports that are close by.
- Things To Do: Since there are no automobiles allowed on the island, you may simply explore it on foot or by bicycle along four indicated pathways that have various themes and degrees of difficulty.
9. Eiffel Tower
For the Exposition Universelle in 1889, which celebrated the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution, Gustave Eiffel built the Eiffel Tower. It represented French vacation spots with knowledge and industry.
The creativity astounded the entire globe with its stature and audacious design. If you are in search of vacation go for France travel tips 2023. It is one of the top attractions in France.
- Best Time To Visit: Start your visit early (before 10:30 am) in the morning or late in the day (after 5 PM) or even in the evening to feel more at ease. If you want you can take help from a French tourism guide. During the day, you can see more of the city.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: The Paris Orly (ORY) Airport, located 15.4 kilometers from the Eiffel Tower, is the closest airport.
- Things To Do: This place is perfect for capturing photos and exploring the cherished beauty of France.
Gordes is undoubtedly one of the most picturesque tiny towns in the world and a beautiful French vacation spot.
It attracts throngs of tourists who come to this picture-perfect Luberon village in the hopes of snapping the ideal picture of its cobbled alleyways.
Over the years, Gordes’ distinctive landscape has drawn a lot of painters. It seems sense that they were motivated by the picturesque settings and illumination of the settlement and its surroundings.
- Best Time To Visit: April, May, June, July, August, September, and October are the months with the most favorable weather in Gordes according to the France tourism guide.
- Distance From The Nearest Airport: If you’re traveling by air, Avignon or Marseille are the closest airports to Gordes. Although Avignon is the nearest, there aren’t many daily international flights from there.
- Things To Do: With numerous art galleries and exhibits taking place in the area, Gordes is still well-recognized for the arts today.
France is known for its amazing food, wine, and fashion, as well as being the home to some of the most famous landmarks and buildings in the entire world.
Read also: Most Beautiful Places to Visit in Paris
Even people who haven’t been there may be familiar with France’s sightseeing, culture, and characters because they have appeared prominently in some of the most well-known books, films, plays, and television shows in the world.
Frequently Asked Questions
France is home to magnificent mountain ranges, breathtaking coastlines, lavender fields, medieval villages, and chic cities.
There are many reasons why people travel to France, including its delectable cuisine, dynamic culture, breathtaking natural beauty, and, most importantly, how it makes them feel. A particular allure surrounds France. One of the best things to do in France is to be alert about the timelines before visiting the places.
Generally speaking, the off-season months of January, February, November, and December are the ideal times to purchase airline tickets to France.
According to these calculations of France travel tips 2023, the overall price of a seven-day trip to Paris might be between $1,233 and $2,880, excluding any other costs.
The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame de Paris, Louvre Museum, Versailles Palace, and Mont Saint-Michel are the top five attractions in France.