Shimla is popular to Indians as the capital of Himachal Pradesh. But to travel enthusiasts around the world, it is a dreamland of snow-capped mountains, world renowned architecture, temples, churches and other attractions that let you forget yourself.
With top destinations like Kufri, the Ridge, and Scandal Point, Shimla makes for a perfect getaway location for your holidays.
Let us go through the top places to visit in Shimla, so that you can spend your vacation in Shimla in the most ideal way
Top 10 Places to Visit in Shimla This Year
1. Jakhoo Hill
This place in Shimla is noted for the Jakhoo temple which worships Lord Hanuman. The monkeys around this place and the beautiful atmosphere makes it a popular attraction among children and families.
This famous destination is a top favourite among visitors due to the breath-taking views that these hills offer. You can also wake up a little bit earlier to see the panoramic view of the sunset and begin your day afresh.
From the Jakhoo temple, you can stroll along the Ridge and visit nearby attractions like the Mall Road and the Scandal Point. From there, you can move to the wax museum and take a look at the beautiful wax statues.
- Places to Stay: The Jakhoo Crest, The Hosteller, Summit Le Royale, Wildflower Hall, the Oberoi Cecil
- Popular nearby attractions: Jakhoo temple, Christ Church, Lakkar Bazaar, Rothney Castle, Johnnies Wax Museum
- Things to do: Walk to the Ridge, visit the wax museum, feed the monkeys around, hope on the Jakhoo temple ropeway
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Distance from Shimla 5 km
- Timings: 7am to 8 pm
- Tips for travellers You can feed the monkeys around the hills but make sure to not spoil them.
2. Mall Road
The Mall Road is the perfect place to visit in Shimla if wish to engage in exciting activities like shopping, sightseeing, and spend a day devouring the local food items.
It is the top destination in Shimla for social butterflies who like to make new friends, take amazing pictures, and shop all along the way.
You can begin the day by visiting the famous Christ Church and learn about the historical significance of the place. Then, walk from the Mall Road to the Ridge and reach at the scandal point of Shimla where people get together and enjoy evening walk.
Do not miss out on shopping from famous markets like Lakkar bazar from where you can take home some precious souvenirs. Pick up a book or two from Minerva book house which is a heaven for readers.
- Places to Stay: Shimla Nature Ville, The Hosteller, Hotel Thirupathi Hill Stay, Maya Home Stay
- Popular nearby attractions: Christ Church, Scandal Point, the Ridge, the Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex, Café Simla Times, Lakkar bazar, Minerva book house.
- Things to do: Enjoy a toy train ride till Kalka, Visit the famous hotels nearby and treat yourself with yummy delicacies, buy woollen products from markets, visit Jakhoo temple
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Distance from Shimla: 7 km
- Timings: 9am to 9 pm
- Tips for travellers: Have enough cash with you as there are not many ATMs nearby., You can also pay through digital means.
3. Green Valley
Green Valley is synonymous to the bounty of natural beauties. Also known as the Hassan valley, this widely visited place in Shimla guarantees memories for a lifetime for people of all ages.
This tourist location is surrounded by a variety of hills, trees, and forests providing you a peaceful and calm setting to enjoy your picnic. Enjoy the most romantic getaway in this place with your loved one.
Families can also have a fun time with kids in the pleasant setting that the Green Valley offers.
Apart from basking in the glory of nature, you can also indulge in fun activities like spending a day at Kufri Fun World With a wide variety of water adventures.
There are some restaurants and cafes located in the vicinity of the Green Valley making it convenient spot to enjoy your holidays.
- Places to Stay: Sterling legacy, Welcomhotel by ITC, the Orchid, Regenta Resort and Spa, Raddison
- Popular nearby attractions: Jakhoo Hill, Mini Zoo, Mall Road, Kufri Fun World, Christ Church, the Ridge, Jakhoo Hindu Temple
- Things to do: Explore the streets of Mall Road, shop for local handicrafts, tour the Reserve Forest Sanctuary, engage in some wildlife photography, visit the Jakhoo hill and enjoy the breath-taking views of the Himalayan mountain ranges.
- Best time to visit: January to December
- Distance from Shimla: 10 km away from Downtown Shimla
- Timings: 6am to 6pm
- Tips for travellers: Take a pair of binoculars with you to spot the wildlife in the forests
4. The Ridge of Shimla
The Ridge of Shimla is one place you must visit if you are looking to explore the culture of Shimla.
It is known as the culminating point of all cultural and government functions and fairs and other celebrations. Located in the heart of Shimla along the mall road, the Ridge is a famous place for sightseeing and other activities like shopping and cultural meetings.
Apart from the exciting events, you also get to enjoy the charm of nature in this top tourist destination as it is surrounded by pine trees, Himalayan oak and fir trees.
You can spend a day walking from the Scandal point to the Ridge, enjoy the local foods in the little cafes and restaurants, do some shopping, and call it a day.
There are so many tourist attractions near the Ridge including the Scandal Point and Lakkar bazar in close proximity.
- Places to Stay: Sterling Legacy, Hotel Willow Banks, Clarke’s Hotel, Hotel Combermere, Honeymoon Inn
- Popular nearby attractions: The Mall Road, Himachal State Museum, Kiala Forest, Christ Church, Kali Bari Temple, Scandal Point
- Things to do: Visit the Christ Church, enjoy of the view of surrounding hill stations, horse riding, enjoy the food and drinks, shopping
- Best time to visit: April to may
- Distance from Shimla: 2 km from Shimla Railway station
- Timings: 9am to 10pm
- Tips for travellers: Do not miss on the Summer Festival that takes place in the month of April and May.
5. Scandal Point
The Scandal Point in Shimla located on the Mall Road is one of the most visited tourist destinations. You get to enjoy scenic views of the gigantic mountain ranges and indulge in other activities like shopping and munching on local food by visiting this place.
We know you are wondering about how the place got its name. It is said that the Maharaja of Patiala ran away with the daughter of the British viceroy of that time and met up at this place.
Hence, you can say that this famous destination in Shimla is rightly named after this popular scandal.
There are so many famous tourist attractions located near the Scandal Point in Shimla which makes it a favourite destination among visitors.
You can shop for handicrafts made by local artisans and hop on to the Kalka Shimla toy train to move through the surroundings.
- Places to Stay: Maya Homestay, Exotic Naturals Guest House, Tirthan Valley, Nirvana Stay, Hotel Siddharth Regency
- Popular nearby attractions: The Ridge, Bhoj Fair, Lakkar Bazar, Café Hide Out, Rothney Castle,Himalayan Bird Park, Gaiety Theatre
- Things to do: horse riding, ice skating, walking around, shopping, enjoy the street food
- Best time to visit: March to June
- Distance from Shimla: 5 km from Shimla Railway station
- Timings: 6am to 8pm
- Tips for travellers: Make sure to take care of your belongings like wallet since several cases of pickpocketing have been reported here
6. Summer Hill
Majestic snow capped mountains, cool and fresh air, and peace are the images that come to one’s mind when talking about Summer Hills in Shimla.
It is a perfect holiday destination for couples and families to enjoy their time in the breathtaking landscape and soothing atmosphere. You feel at peace in this panoramic place due to the pleasant weather and the excellent natural beauty.
But Summer Hill is not just about meditating in peace or basking in the cool air.
You also get to engage in adventurous activities like horse riding and trekking to make your moody holidays more exciting.
There are several popular places to visit in Shimla that are located right in this area including the Viceregal lodge with its beautiful architecture and The Ridge which is an ideal hangout place for tourists.
The Kali Bari temple which sits royally on top of the Jakhoo hill is just 2.6 kilometres away from Summer Hill.
- Places to Stay: Hotel City Inn, Ganga Palace, Hotel Green View, Chandel Homestay, Gulmarg Regency
- Popular nearby attractions: Viceregal lodge, Annandale Army Heritage museum, Kali Bari temple, Gaiety Theatre, the Ridge
- Things to do: Take part in a cultural event at Gaiety Theatre, visit the prospect hill, take a trip to Sankat Mochan temple, trekking, horseback riding through the jungle, indulge in the local cuisine, shopping
- Best time to visit: November to January
- Distance from Shimla 4 kilometres from Shimla railway station
- Timings: 6am to 6pm on all days
- Tips for travellers Make sure to help yourself with warm clothes due to the chilly weather. Also carry a sheet in case you want to go picnicking.
Kufri is a hill station in Shimla and is popularly known as it’s winter sports capital. It is one of the best places to visit in Shimla as it is surrounded by the Himalayan ranges on all sides and offers a relaxing spot for tourists.
You get to witness some of the most beautiful sights in Himachal Pradesh by visiting this town with valleys that turn green and white during the summers and winters respectively.
It is the right tourist destination to visit in Shimla if you are a nature lover and are looking forward to making memories by indulging in adventures.
You can spend time with your family by taking part in a number of sports and adventurous activities in this hill station in Shimla, all thanks to the high altitude and beautiful snowy peaks.
One can also visit famous tourist destinations like the Himalayan National Park and kufri Fun World which is one of the highest amusement parks in the world.
- Places to Stay: Offbeat Homestay, Woodays Resort, Pacific Resort
- Popular nearby attractions: Himalayan Nature Park, Mahasu peak, Kufri fun world, Green Valley, Nagaon’s Amusement Park, Indira tourist park, Fagu
- Things to do: Skiing, ice skating, go karting, visit Kufri adventure park, enjoy a donkey or mule ride to Mahasu peak, go on yak rides, enjoy tobogganing
- Best time to visit: April to June
- Distance from Shimla: 15 Km
- Tips for travellers: Carry basic necessities including money as there are no ATMs on the way.
8. Christ Church
Shimla is one tourist destination in India that offers a meditative and spiritual atmosphere for tourists to rest in.
One such religious place to visit in Shimla is the famous Christ Church which is located at the Ridge. It is a popular sightseeing destination in Shimla for tourists of all ages and interests due to its stunning architecture and tranquil atmosphere.
See paintings of Jesus Christ and other décor pieces like tubular bells and clocks in this church that is about 90 feet tall.
It is the second oldest church in North India, making it a widely visited tourist attraction of Shimla.
The neo-gothic style of architecture, the nearby market roads, and other attractions near to it offer an unforgettable experience for tourists.
Visit this church especially during Christmas and Easter celebrations to celebrate these festivals with the locals.
- Places to Stay: Royale Retreat, Summit or Royale Hotel, Hotel Willow Banks, Hotel Baljees Regency
- Popular nearby attractions: The Mall Road, the Ridge, Gorton Castle, Jakhoo Hill, Shri Hanuman Mandir Jakhoo, Chadwick Falls
- Things to do: Meditate or pray at the church, visit the City Centre Mall, shop at Mall Road, checkout traditional handicrafts at the Himachal Emporium
- Best time to visit: November to March
- Distance from Shimla: 6 kilometres from the city centre
- Timings: 8AM to 6PM everyday of the week
- Tips for travellers: Do not miss out on the Sunday Mass if you are visiting this church on the weekends. Photography is strictly prohibited inside the church.
9. Himalayan Bird Park
Himalayan Bird Park is the top option for those Shimla tourists who are looking to visit a National Park. Move away from the hustle and bustle of the city and indulge in some exotic wildlife sightseeing by visiting this famous tourist destination in Shimla.
It is located opposite to viceregal lodge and is a popular centre of attraction for tourists and locals alike.
You can see a large number of bird species like peacock, Cheer pheasant, and exclusive Himalayan birds that you cannot find anywhere else.
Do not forget to get a glimpse of the Himalayan Monal which is the state bird of Himachal Pradesh, by visiting this aviary.
Apart from the birds, you can also explore the rich wilderness by walking among the plants and trees.
Wildlife photographers must visit this place when travelling to Shimla due to the plethora of natural beauty it offers, especially during the summer.
- Places to Stay: City Inn Hotel, Hotel Victory, Himalayan Forest Valley
- Popular nearby attractions: Willy Park, Red Wood Camp, Chadwick Falls, Daulat Singh Park, Rani Jhansi Park
- Things to do: Watch the birds and get to learn about them, go on a guided sightseeing tour, explore the flora of the place, engage in nature photography, trekking, visit the bird hospital and breeding centre, interact with the locals and explore their culture.
- Best time to visit: March to September
- Distance from Shimla: 5 km from Shimla Railway station
- Timings: 10 am to 5 pm everyday
- Tips for travellers: Make sure to visit this top tourist attraction in Shimla during the morning and afternoon hours.
10. Chadwick Waterfall
Did you know that the these waterfalls in Shimla were called Chidku Jhaar (Chidku means sparrow) since the locals thought only sparrows can reach the highest point of the waterfalls? The britishers later renamed it as Chadwick falls for their convenience.
Located amidst dense pine forests, Chadwick falls is an ideal tourist destination for everyone.
Nature lovers would especially enjoy the serenity and peaceful atmosphere of this place due to the lush greenery and the cool waters. It is also the best place to relax after a long day of sightseeing for families couples and children alike.
It Is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Shimla due to the tranquil environment that can soothe your soul with the sounds of nature and the stunning view that pleases the eyes.
This place also offers a great chance to go on a hiking trail and meditate in the quietness away from the busyness of city life. You can explore popular tourist attractions nearby including the Summer Hill.
- Places to Stay: Hotel Green View, Hotel Chadwick View, Shimla nature Ville, Aarika Homestay, Caravan River Camps
- Popular nearby attractions: Shimla Glen, Summer Hill, Luthra Mahadev temple, Lakkar Bazaar, Christ Church
- Things to do: Camping, trekking, picnicking, walk around the forests, take pictures, chill in the waters, visit Kufri Fun World
- Best time to visit: June to September
- Distance from Shimla: 5km (from bus stand)
- Timings: 6 am to 6 pm
- Tips for travellers: Make sure to bring enough snacks and drinks as there are not many shops around this place.
We hope you include all these places in your next trip to Shimla. Share with us your experience and let us know if we have missed out on any of your favourite places!
Frequently Asked Questions
2 days are enough to cover the top tourist attractions in Shimla. A few of them included the Scandal Point, Christ Church, the Mall, Viceregal lodge, Jakhoo temple and Gaiety Heritage Cultural Complex.
The top tourist attractions in Shimla are well-connected by bus and other modes of public transportation. Make sure to use them to save money on your trip to Shimla.
Carry your own food if possible and survive on local food items whenever available.
The Christ Church and Shri Hanuman Mandir on Jakhoo hills are two of the most visited places in Shimla. A few other popular favourites among tourists include Kufri, the Green Valley and the ridge.
You can opt for a guided tour package to cover the top tourist destinations in Shimla at affordable prices.
Per person trip from Delhi to Shimla for 3 days and 2 nights will cost around INR 10k to 15k. This amount will vary depending on your travel style.
You can go on a walking or biking tour in Shimla and cover famous destinations including the Scandal Point, The Ridge, The Mall Road and engage in various activities like shopping in a day.
You can visit spiritual centres like the Jakhoo temple and Christ Church and end the day with a relaxing picnic in Chadwick falls on the second day.